Apple Pie “Moonshine”

A simple recipe for apple pie “moonshine” – this time made with some Tennessee “white lightnin” from Ole Smoky in Gatlinburg. Yeehaw!

About Thirsty South

Dedicated to all things drinking well in the South.
This entry was posted in Cocktail Recipes, Likker. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Apple Pie “Moonshine”

1. atlpaddy says:

I’m glad to see that this recipe is ATF approved ( wink,wink).

Also, I just ran across the site and it’s great.

2. Eldon says:

Does apple pie need to be keep refrigerated?

Thanks

• Need to be? I don’t think so. I’ve always seen it out on the counter. But it’s not a bad idea if you’re not going to drink the apple pie ‘shine right away. The ratio of juice (especially if you used a cider that comes refrigerated from the store or is pressed fresh) to alcohol is high enough that keeping it cold is a good idea.

3. Rose Burke says:

What is the shelf life of the apple pie moon shine?

• Good question, Rose. It depends on how you make it (and/or buy it), in particular the ratio of apple juice to alcohol. The recipe above is pretty low on alcohol actually, about 5% if my math is right, which means its shelf life once made/open would not be much better than that of apple juice. The version Old Smokey sells in stores is 20% alcohol, which will have a longer shelf life, though is still probably best kept refrigerated once open to keep it fresh.

4. Popcorn Smith says:

If you made it right, with apple brandy moonshine, you won’t have any left to refrigrate.

5. Miss Tickle says:

i would like to make a cherry juice and shine or black cherry juice and shine. I thought i would try-
    2 gallons cherry or black cherry juice
    2 to 4 cups sugar ( taste testing for sweetness before I decide )
    1 to 3 liters of moonshine ( taste testing for potency before I decide )
    20 marsceno cherries in each quart
    Any input you can offer would be helpful. I have made apple pie moonshine many times and every one loves it. I thought this recipe would be better with out cinnamon sticks although a friend said I should use them. I put a Cinnamon stick in some cherry juice to get any idea what it would taste like, I wasn’t impressed. I believe it would be more refreshing with just the fruit flavor of the juice. I am not sure how much shine I want to use 1 liter would be a foo-foo type of drink, 3 liters would be awesome for doing shots!

• Uncle Phil says:

I used a large jar of marisceno cherrys. poured out about half the syrup. and added shine to the top. I refrigerated them for about a month before I tried one (cherry). Hell of a kick and it went well with ice cream. They lasted about a year till my older children figured out they had a proof to them. I do small jars now and give them out as gifts.

Comments welcome, y'all!